Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ouch! A Slow-Mo to the Pavement

A number of years ago I was leaving a bicycle shop up in Lakewood, Ohio.  I overheard a customer talking with several staff at the store.  I heard the one guy says,  "It's not IF you will have a bike accident, but WHEN."  I didn't like hearing that.  Well today was my day.  I started out on the morning group ride.  Got over to Laurel Road and I was pointing my finger downward to warn cyclist behind me that there was some road hazard that I was passing over. I remember looking down. The edge of my tire must have caught some of it. I fell with a splat to the ground.  Cracking the helmet in two places and scraping up the shoulder and elbow, the hip is going to be black and blue too. I layed there for a while, out cold!  Since I didn't remember doing this, and was 'out' for a minute or two, Jack B said I ought to call it off and head back.  Dorothy F. came with her vehicle and picked me up.  I wasn't going to go to the ER, but I was feeling a bit woozy and just to be safe, I decided to get checked out.  They said it was a mild concussion, but the scan shows no bleeding or swelling.  Many thanks to my Guardian Angel today!  And thanks to Dorothy, another angel, who came and picked me up.  
A little rash on the upper right shoulder.  This shoulder has been causing me some concern, even prior to this accident. I am afraid that I might have a rotator cuff tear. I was suppose to schedule an MRI to confirm but hadn't gotten it done before leaving on this trip. This hard fall probably did not help the arm on bit! 
Jack, slathering on the suntan lotion. Good job, Jack. We all need to remember the sun block when don't here in Florida, where this winter sunshine can easily cause a burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment